12.12.2010

Strasbourg, France Christmas Market

On Saturday I went to Strasbourg with my future roommate, Michelle! It was really nice to spend time with her and get to know each other a bit more. She's a Air Force nurse at the Landstuhl Medical Center and has been here for a few years and has one year remaining here. She's offered me a spare room in her apartment, so in the coming weeks, over Christmas break, I'll move in with her. I'm really stoked for it : ) I think it's going to be fun!
I went to Strasbourg when I first got here, on the way to our women's retreat. I thought the city was really neat and was excited to go back. I googled the market before coming and found out that the Christmas market has been going on there since 1570 - making it the oldest market in France. The signs throughout the market boasted the "capital of Christmas markets."
Many of the town shops decorated their storefronts beautifully.
Alsace is the state or region that Strasbourg is in.
A river runs through Strasbourg, so there were lots of little bridges throughout the downtown and really cute buildings along the canals.
We saw these two Santas playing music in the town square.
This is the church in the downtown square. When I went in October, I didn't have a chance to go inside. This time it was open, and a mass was in session.

No comments: