11.22.2010

CSM Thanksgiving Invitational to Belgium

This past weekend, our CSM team got together in Belgium. We stayed in this "Chalet Suise" house - that's Belgium for Swiss Chalet! (Actually, they speak French in Belgium)
Here's a picture of our team (minus Dan and Becke Hass and Anthony Amor)
Buddy and Jen Rathmell joined us from Virginia. They worked with Malachi for 10 years in Okinawa and are in the process of moving to Thailand in January to begin a Discipleship Training School for military students and families. Buddy and Jen led us in time in the Word throughout the weekend - it was good! They also led us in a time of Thanksgiving where each person could share about God's faithfulness in our lives.

During our free afternoons...

Day 1: Battle of the Bulge
The Battle of the Bulge was fought in Bastogne, Belgium - about 40 minutes from our cabin. A few of us drove there, went through a pretty cool museum, spent time walking around a large monument dedicated to the American troops, and we found some fox holes to walk around. There was a monument for "Easy Company" (remember Band of Brothers?) near the fox holes.
^In front of the museum
^The memorial to the United States
^In front of the Wisconsin tribute!
^View from the top of the memorial
^Monument to Easy Company
^Fox holes
^Becky and I in fox holes

Day 2: Belgium waffles and chocolate!
When I think of Belgium, I think of waffles. I was surprised to not see tons of little waffle stands, or a waffle house. It took us a little wandering to find a place. I was more surprised to find out that french fries - or frittes are way more popular in Belgium. I didn't associate french fries with Belgium.
^My Belgium waffle!
^Coffee, served on a silver platter

The streets of small Belgium towns...
^In front of an awesome, ivy filled building

No comments: